Sunday, May 29, 2011

My father in law, Jeff.

Ok, so this is what's been going on. Jeff is my father in law. Daryl is his partner/husband/soul mate.

A while back, Jeff was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He went through radiation therapy, and aside from some nausea, he seemed to be doing quite well. For several months, he was perfectly healthy. Then he started with a cold that lasted for about a month. Then he started feeling tired more often.

Last weekend we went over to their house for dinner. Daryl seemed really worried about Jeff. Apparently Jeff has had sky high blood pressure (280/120). He had been having severe abdominal pains that woke him up at night. He had slept 20 of the last 24 hours. Everything tasted like pure salt to him, so he hadn't really eaten anything substantial in about a week. His abdomen was swollen slightly and he was a funky yellowish color. Daryl made several doctor appointments for him on Monday. They first said it may be something to do with his gallbladder, and set an appointment for a liver biopsy.

Jeff began feeling really ill on Wed, and was admitted into the hospital. We visited him on Thursday. They had him on a potassium IV because his body wasn't holding potassium at all.He was in good spirits though and eager to go home, although the doctor said he'd probably be in the hospital for about another week.

We found out today that his liver has innumerable cysts. They don't know yet if it is liver cancer though. So at this point, it's a hurry up and wait game to find out exactly what this is and get it taken care of.

We're all an emotional wreck. Jeff's mom is coming to take care of their dogs and the house, since Daryl has to work (luckily he works at the same hospital Jeff is at) and will be spending most of his 'free' time with Jeff. We want to take the kids to visit, but Jeff doesn't want the kids to see him like this. I understand his feelings on this, but I honestly don't agree. At this point, if it is liver cancer, he won't be around very much longer. I don't want him to have any regrets about not seeing the kids, which he will. He loves the kids sooo much. Daryl said he cried last night because he was scared he won't be able to see the kids grow up. When Daryl came over this morning, he was a wreck. He was trying to stay strong and not let the kids see him cry, but he was sobbing within two minutes of walking in the door. Jeff and Daryl have been together for over 20 years.

Uhg. At this point, I'm just rambling. I guess I'm just trying to get it all out. I ask that you pray for Jeff, or cross your fingers, hope, wish, do your voo-doo, whatever it is that you do, and hopefully we can see him pull through this.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie - I'm so sorry! Please know that all my happy thoughts and voodoo magic is being sent to make Jeff better *hugs* Also - I know that there's a ton of details about this situation that I don't know, but there are a lot of liver conditions that you can live a long time with, with the proper medications. Cysts are worrisome, but at least they have a starting point and have a direction to work toward from here.

    I can't imagine how hard this is for Daryl to deal with - a guy that I was dating during my first year as a nurse had kidney stones and it took all my willpower to not scream at the other nurses when they were late with his pain medicine... On the other hand, it sounds like he could probably spend lunches with Jeff.

    Keep me updated! My heart is with you and your family *hugs*
    ~~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Erin.

    We aren't certain it's cancer yet, but they're getting an oncologist to take a look. Right now, I'm just praying it's not cancer and he'll get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending prayer for you as well. I hate that you are waiting to hear if it is the dreaded C-word. We have lost 3 family members to it recently and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Luv hun, and prayers coming your way.

    Maybe if we prop each other up, we will make it down this rough patch of road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I lost my step father to cancer in 96. What's making me so emotional about this is that Jeff looks like my step dad did before he died. Weak, weepy, can't eat, yellow.. And of course, he's stubborn and doesn't like people being sad or worrying about him. That's why he doesn't want the kids to see him.

    *hugs* Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry... praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just waiting for an answer is really the worst of all. Thank God my waits turned out in a positive ending. I pray that the answer is no on the cancer and he will get well very soon. Hugs and kisses from your loving grandmother Mema. Take care of yourself also please and the children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Mema. I miss you bunches. *hugs and kisses*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry! You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete